Born: April 7, 1987
Residence: Dickinson, N.D.
Horse: Sky High Guy “Sky” (13-year old gelding) – Sire: Frenchman Guy/Dam: Fleeting Pie
Joined the WPRA: 2010
World titles: 0
Wrangler NFR qualifications: 1 (2012)
DNCFR/RNCFR qualifications: 3 (2011, 2013, 2016)
Education: University of Wyoming (Laramie) – graduated in the spring of 2010 with a double major in molecular biology and medical microbiology
• 2016 - Finished with $8,806. Qualified for the Ram National Circuit Finals Rodeo in 2017 after finishing second in the Badlands Circuit standings.
• 2015 - Finished with $1,457
• 2013 - Finished ranked 25th with $42,263; Won the average title at the Badlands Circuit Finals Rodeo, the Dawson Creek (British Columbia) Stampede, the Livingston (Mont.) Roundup and the Maah Daah Hey Stampede (Grassy Butte, N.D.)
• 2012 – Placed in two rounds at first Wrangler NFR. Won $23,558 at the Wrangler NFR. Finished the year ranked ninth with $110,279; won the Ashley (N.D.) Rodeo, the Mandan (N.D.) Rodeo Days and the Fort Worth (Texas) Stock Show and Rodeo.
• 2011 – Finished the year ranked 25th in the world with $47,688. Finished second in the Badlands Circuit to qualify for the Ram National Circuit Finals after Lisa Lockhart won both the year-end and average titles; won the Pendleton (Ore.) Round-Up ,the Sanders County Fair & PRCA Rodeo (Plains, Mont.), the Dakota Stampede Rodeo (Aberdeen, S.D.), the Red Horse Ranch PRCA Rodeo (Fergus Falls, Minn.), the Larimer County Fair & Rodeo (Loveland, Colo.) and Crazy Horse (S.D.) Horse Stampede
• 2010 – Finished her rookie year ranked 10th in the rookie standings with $9,207
Two-time all-around champion at the College National Finals Rodeo (2007, 2009), qualified for the collegiate championship, winning the all-around and barrel racing titles in the Central Rocky Mountain Region for five straight years.
Dash Ta Vanila was named the Scoti Flit Bar Rising Star Award, 2012.
Husband, Alfred…Dash Ta Vanila (Nilla) is owned by Alan Woodbury of Dickinson, N.D., who manufactures feed for performance horses, and was trained by Judy Myllymaki. The palomino mare carried Steffes to the Wrangler NFR and then was injured so she was searching for a mount in 2013. She called up Bill and Deb Myers, who own WPRA PESI Stallion Frenchmans Guy and whom Steffes worked for in college. They came to her rescue with a horse name Sky. Donnie Reece trained and campaigned Sky at the early futurities. Sky was gelded as a 7-year old. After doing well in Houston and Austin in 2013, Steffes bought Sky from the Myers family…Nikki has been accepted to dental school at the University of Nebraska but has put that on hole to pursue her barrel racing career.