2018 Earnings: $123,515 Career Earnings: $2,378,482
An Oakie With Cash “Louie” (15-year old buckskin gelding) – Sire: Biebers Oakie/Dam: Lady Kaweah Cash; Rosas Cantina CC "Rosa" (8-year old buckskin mare)*Note: goes to the left barrel first - Sire: Corona Cartel/Dam: Dash Ta Vanila; Fast An Gold “Chisum” (20-year-old chestnut gelding) - Sire: El Roco/Dam: Romanna Glass
1. Excluding qualifying for the Wrangler NFR, what are your top 2 highlights of the 2018 season.
Having a good “winter season” and “summer season” which allowed me to basically stay home with my family during the spring and fall.
2. Which rodeo is still on your "bucket list" to win?
There are many rodeos I would love to win, the list is long!
3. At what point during the season did you know you had a lock on the Wrangler NFR?
July was definitely a turning point.
4. What are you most looking forward to doing/experiencing in Las Vegas?
Competing for 10 days is what it is all about for me.
5. Have you ever been to LasVegas other than the NFR? What shows, or events are your most favorite things to do?
I have only been there for the rodeo, and when my kids were younger we tried to do a lot of fun things with them
6. What has been your proudest moment this past season?
Oh, there are so many proud moments!
7. How would you describe your horse's running and turning style...do you think the Thomas & Mack environment will compliment it?
I think that every running & turning style has its place at the T & M, and that’s what makes the competition so exciting.
8. What are you most thankful for?
I am most thankful for my wonderful family, and rodeoing as a family!
9. List your sponsors
Priefert Ranch and Rodeo; Polaris RANGER; Platinum Performance; B Bar Heart Performance Horses; Martin Saddlery; Classic Equine; DeTye Vet Supply; Woody’s Performance Horse Feeds; Cowgirl Tuff; Rodeo Rigs; Outback Customs;
10. Who or what keeps you most grounded and humble?
Grady is my rock. Life is a roller coaster & you need to be along for the WHOLE ride.
11. Who pushes you most to achieve an NFR qualification?
I am pretty self motivated, but Grady is definitely my #1 supporter.
12. What kind of support team do you have, i.e.
- Driver or someone who figures out the logistics of getting to all the rodeos, i.e. layovers NO
- Someone who gets them entered in the rodeos, keeps track of standings NO
- Vet and Farrier while on the road Grady is my farrier and Dr Swanson is only a phone call away
- Personal trainer NO
- Sports psychologist NO
- Accountant NO
- Financial Backers NO
13. What is your go to snack food on the road?
Protein bars and fruit
14. Which former NFR or World Champion Barrel Racer would you seek rodeo advice from and why?
There are so many with knowledge and I have sought advice from various champions over the years.
15. What is your favorite app on your phone?
16. Which do you enjoy watching more, television or movies? What types: drama, sports, comedy, romance? Which specific ones are your favorite?
I watch very little TV, but drama shows like Chicago Med, Chicago PD, Law & Order, NCIS
17. Have you endured any “life changing” moments?
Having 3 wonderful kids
18. Rodeo life is full of obstacles and challenges. What was your greatest challenge this year and how did you overcome it?
Yes, everyday has its challenges, and I’ve learned to take things in stride a lot better over the years.
19. What life lesson did you learn from your challenges this year?
Everyday is a new day!
20. If you could live in any other area of the US other than where you now reside where would it be?
Probably Texas so that the weather would be more conducive to training horses.
21. What sport other than rodeo would you shine in?
22. What is a daily "must do/have" to keep your life organized or stress free?
23. What is you #1 "must have" for keeping your trailer organized and stocked as needed?
Would it be in the horse area or living quarters area? Horse area….blankets, fly sheets, feed supplements, horse treats, and so much more!
24. What's a misconception about barrel racing?
That it is easy, or that it is a glamorous lifestyle at the professional level.